Back to Blog
A Paw-Tastic Day at the Isle Casino Cape Girardeau!
Isle Casino Cape Girardeau and the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri are excited to host the $5000 Pet Adoption Slot Tournament on September 23, 2015 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Enter for just $10 at the cashier’s cage starting at 2 p.m. All proceeds will be donated to the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri. Be sure to stop by the valet’s entrance to adopt a pet in need and learn more about how you can help this worthy cause.
The Humane Society of Southeast Missouri is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of people and pets. The organization cares for over 3,500 animals each year. They receive no funding from the government or the Humane Society of the United States and rely solely on donations and volunteers from the community.
Every year, an estimated 3.7 million animals are euthanized due to a lack of homes for them. All the animals at the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri have been lost, given up or abandoned. The shelter offers a wide variety of pets who are vaccinated and well cared for by veterinarians and experienced staff. Each animal is spayed or neutered and the adoption fees are considerably less than the cost of a purebred animal. Adopting an animal from a shelter slows mass breeding production and helps break the cycle of pet overpopulation.
Once you have decided on adding a new member to your family, you need to determine what animal and breed is the best fit for your lifestyle. Consider the size of your residence, your activity level, how often you are at home, allergies and plans for the next 10-15 years. Many shelters conduct a behavioral analysis of each pet to ensure they will be the right animal for your family. If you do not trust your own judgment, consider hiring an animal trainer to accompany you when you choose a new pet for your home.
If you choose to adopt a pet without professional consultation, consider these steps to ensure adoption success. These steps are particularly important when adopting a dog:
1. Note the attitude of the staff and volunteers at the shelter.
2. Quickly peruse each animal without stopping. Note the animals that stand out.
3. Go back and visit each animal you noted during your first walkthrough.
4. Ask to have “quiet time” with the animal. If the animal looks for your attention in a positive way, this is a good sign.
5. Slowly try to touch the animal. If it responds well, this is an animal that is likely not aggressive and will socialize well with your family.
6. Ask to feed the animal or give it a treasured toy. While it is eating or playing, slowly try to pet it. If the animal glares, stiffens its body or growls, it is a resource guarder and not a good adoption choice.
7. Try to pet the animal all over. If it tries to bite, move onto your next choice.
8. Try playing a game with the animal. Intentionally get it excited and then abruptly stop playing. If the animal stays aroused for over two minutes, this animal is highly energetic and not suitable for the average household.
9. Take the animal (dog) for a walk on a leash. If the dog is aggressive towards strangers, especially children, it is not adequately socialized.
10. Finally, put the animal back in its kennel and watch its reaction to strangers passing by. If the animal shows aggression, again, move onto your next choice.
Once you have decided on an animal, be sure you have all the necessary supplies including:
2. Water bowls
3. Collar and leash (if necessary)
4. Pet crate and bedding
5. Toys and chews
6. House training tools
7. Healthcare and grooming supplies
Adopting an animal is a huge decision for you and your family. Be sure you choose correctly, are adequately prepared and commit to improving the animal’s life. Stop by Isle Capri Cape Girardeau on September 23, 2015 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. to enter the $5000 Pet Adoption Slot Tournament and view pets in need from the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri. You may end up winning big and bringing home a new member of the family!