The 10 Best Rock Songs of All Time
And we know it’s up for debate! It’s obvious that rock music has had a deep influence on our culture and lifestyles. It originated back in the 1950s as a combination of some of the other big genres of the time, such as jazz, classical and even country music.
The first record to be labeled as rock ‘n’ roll, and to receive national acclaim, was Bill Haley and the Comets’, “Rock Around the Clock.” The sound soon became distinct with simple lyrics, strong beats and rhythms that made you want to dance.
Rock spread globally. Soon, modern rock songs became anthems of the generation, influencing many to find their own voice and style. Performers developed celebrity status, even those who made their claim in some of rock’s developed subcategories, such as folk rock or hard rock.
Below is a list of what may be considered some of the greatest rock songs of all time.
1. Stairway to Heaven – Released in 1991, the song is now considered Led Zeppelin’s greatest hit. Categorized in hard rock, this song is recognized by people who like all kinds of music.
2. Bohemian Rhapsody – An unusual song by an unusual band, Bohemian Rhapsody could put to rest once and for all the myth that rockers aren’t talented or good vocalists. With a strong classical vibe, this song showcases the strength of lead singer Freddy Mercury’s voice, as well as the band’s musical talents.
3. Free Bird – Lynyrd Skynyrd showcases the diversity that is rock music. With strong country rock sounds and southern soul, Free Bird was often viewed as an anthem for a generation that grew up in the turbulent 1970s.
4. Sweet Child O’ Mine – A soft melodic song sung by a controversial and often loud band, Guns n’ Roses’ modern classic showed the strength of rock music as it entered the 1980s.
5. Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana, along with this song, is credited with ushering in a new era of rock music after the big hair bands of the 1980s. This song became an anthem for a generation that grew up in the 90s.
6. Thunderstruck – You could actually pick any one of several songs by AC/DC because they had that big of an impact on a generation of rockers and fans in the 1980s.
7. I Wanna Rock – Another anthem from the 1980s generation, this song and band, Twisted Sister, are as unique and distinct as you would expect a rocker to be.
8. Enter Sandman – Hailed as one of the greatest current rock bands, this song by Metallica showcased their dark sound.
9. Walk This Way – A band that has had a successful several decades, this song is one of Aerosmith’s most loved and recognized, and showcases their sound.
10. I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll – In a world dominated mainly by men, Joan Jett made her mark. This song sums up the feelings of fans who love this type of music, regardless of its current sound.
Rock Out at the Isle® with Arch Allies!
If you love the sounds of rock music, then you’ll want to come out and see one of the premiere tribute bands of today… Arch Allies! They’ll be playing live on Saturday, July 15th, featuring two shows: one at 6pm, the next at 8pm. $15 tickets are still available, but time is running out! Get them here. Enjoy the show!