Back to Blog
Three Must-Have Sides for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to come together with your nearest and dearest, sharing one of the best meals of the year. You’ve already got your turkey planned, but why not try these updated side dishes for a little something new at the holiday table? We think these must-have sides will be new classics in the years to come:
If you’ve only ever had cranberry sauce out of a can, you’re in for a treat! This easy recipe showcases tart cranberries, bright orange juice, and rich maple syrup in a delicious combination.
Start to finish: 20 minutes, plus several hours to chill
1 12 oz. bag cranberries
1 cup cranberry Juice
1 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons orange juice
1. Rinse the cranberries under cool water and add to a small saucepan.
2. Pour in cranberry juice, maple syrup and orange juice. Combine and cook over high heat until mixture comes to a boil.
3. Turn the heat down to bring to a gentle simmer and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, or until the juice has thickened. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heat-safe serving container. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
2. Candied Yams
Sweet potatoes, brown sugar, spices, and marshmallow – what’s not to like? You might want to make an extra pan of these delicious yams, since they’re sure to be a hit on your Thanksgiving table.
Start to finish: 1 hour
6 medium sized yams, peeled and sliced
1 stick (8 tbsp) butter
¾ dark brown sugar
¾ granulated sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1½ cup mini marshmallows (optional)
1. Preheat over to 375F
2. In a large pot of boiling water, place the peeled and cut yams into a large pot, and let the yams boil for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Add the butter to a small saucepan and melt it over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to low and add both sugars. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute, then remove from heat.
4. Add in the spices (cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg) and vanilla, stirring to combine.
5. Combine the cooked yams and the butter mixture in a large baking pan. Place in the oven and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
8. Remove the yams from the oven, and add the marshmallows on top, then place the yams back into the oven for 5-7 minutes.
9. Serve immediately.
Here’s a recipe for green bean casserole that skips the pre-made, canned soup. The result is a healthier version of a holiday classic.
Start to finish: 45 minutes
1 16 oz. bag frozen green beans, thawed
3 tablespoons flour
1 3/4 cups milk
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola or other blue cheese
1/2 cup French-fried onions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish and place thawed green beans in baking dish and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, whisk flour into milk and cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes over medium heat. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper, then bring to a gentle simmer, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Once mixture has thickened, add cheese into mixture then remove from heat and pour over green beans. Stir beans to combine.
3. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, then sprinkle French-fried onions on top, and bake 10 to 15 more minutes, until heated through and bubbly.
These recipes are must-have, updated versions of holiday classics, but when you feel like ditching the cooking altogether, come to the Isle Casino® Cape Girardeau and enjoy our Thanksgiving Buffet at the Farmer’s Pick Buffet®. Guests can also carry out their Thanksgiving dinner to enjoy at home with our Thanksgiving To-Go order options. Details are listed below.
- Thursday, November 24th from 11:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- $19.99 before tax and gratuity.
- Join us at the Farmer’s Pick Buffet® for a traditional Thanksgiving feast featuring turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and all of your other Thanksgiving favorites!
- November 1st – December 30th
- $60.00 before tax and gratuity
- Serves 4-5 people
- Orders must be placed 7 days before pick up.
- Cash, credit card or points purchase only.
- Place an order with Farmer’s Pick Buffet® and we will prepare a delicious holiday meal for you to take home.
Meal will include:
- Sliced Turkey with Gravy
- Sliced, Glazed Ham
- Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
- Traditional Bread Stuffing
- Cranberry Relish Salad
- Green Bean Casserole
- Buttered Corn
- Buttered Rolls
- Choice of Pecan or Pumpkin Pie